Volunteer & Intern
The Julia Robinson Mathematics Festival (JRMF) seeks to inspire joy in mathematics through collaboration, exploration, and discovery. To this end, we engage students and educators through festive events—both in person and online—and make concerted efforts to reach and support underserved and underrepresented populations.
Since our first mathematics festival at Google’s headquarters in 2007, we have supported hundreds of local hosts in organizing events that engage K–12 students and their teachers. Events have taken place in 26 states, 17 countries, and 6 continents. As we travel, JRMF continues to grow and evolve as we learn from these many different cultures.
At our events, students thrive as they think deeply and critically, exploring the richness and beauty of mathematics. More importantly, our activities address all students, from those struggling with mathematics to those soaring in achievement. Motivation comes from the social interaction and cooperative atmosphere, and from the satisfaction of understanding the mathematics itself, rather than from any prize, grade, or ranking. Additionally, our events also build communities by bringing together institutions and organizations as their constituents celebrate mathematics. We flourish because of dedicated mentors, volunteers, and community support.
Description of Available Volunteer Opportunities
Our organization has a number of different projects we are pursuing and welcome volunteers of all ages to join us in pursuing meaningful opportunities to contribute towards our mission. Please indicate all roles that are interesting to you when contacting the Volunteer Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Activity Facilitation Volunteer: In this role, you will work with our team of facilitation trainers to learn how to engage young learners with math activities that have “low floors” and “high ceilings” in a virtual format.
- Student Outreach Volunteer: In this role, you will collaborate with our team working to get JRMF activities out to more students, as well as creating more opportunities for high school and university students to take part in planning and facilitating their own JRMF festivals.
- Math Ambassador Volunteer: In this role, you will work with our team to directly engage with your school and/or local community to promote the joy and pursuit of math through planning and hosting engaging activities and events.
- Parental/Guardian Consent: This consent is required for volunteers under the age of 18.
- Location: This position is remote and will require occasional internet connection access.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines as well as plan tasks accordingly.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work well within a team to accomplish goals.